Talks and articles
TED is a collection of “riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world”. Just fantastic. Many topics are covered but you might like to start with the following talks about mathematics and education:
Significance is an online statistics magazine with free popular articles which will make you laugh and make you think.
Wolfram Research is a commercial company which makes mathematical software. They have a few free components. Wolfram Alpha is a computational knowledge engine. See it to believe it! They also have a free CDF player which displays documents with embedded content capable of doing mathematical calculations. There are thousands of demonstrations available which use this player.
Geogebra is a free piece of mathematical software which enables you to explore mathematical concepts in geometry and algebra and visualizes the links between the two.
- CAST is a free series of stats textbooks with interactive content and exercises developed by Doug Stirling of Massey University of New Zealand. Special version, CAST for New Zealand schools might be of special interest. There is a possibility of CAST for Kenyan schools in the near future.
- Genstat is an extremely powerful commercial statistics software package which also offers two free versions. Genstat Discovery can be used for non-commercial purposes in developing countries. Genstat for teaching and learning is a very new version which is free to universities and schools the world over.
Very interesting links
- Nrich is a great site with mathematical problems, articles and games. The website is updated with new material on the first day of every month (without answers) and you can send in your solutions which may then appear on the website the following month.
Loughborough University run the Maths Centre which has a wide range of student support materials including revision guides, tests and video tutorials.
- Card Games Rules is an opens a website that shows how to play several cards games.
- The Open University is a distance learning institution. Open Learn is a large free component which contains some fascinating topics including the joy of statistics.
- Khan Academy is a collection of video lessons teaching a comprehensive range of mathematics topics and more.